For those of you who are be new to Contemplations and my annual top ten list of books I read in 2017 list, with the exception of number one, the books aren’t listed in any particular order. Number one is the book that made me feel the most or the one that taught me the most. It’s the book that I know I will read again so it gets top spot and, perhaps, me look inward more than any of the others. It’s the book that truly hit me at my core and, without tying to sound too dramatic, may even have made me change something in my life. I also name a few ‘honourable mentions.’ These are books that were truly entertaining and worth my while but didn’t have quite an impact as the others but books that I would still recommend to others. Lastly, the books in my annual list don’t have to have been printed in the year I read them. This is, after all, my top ten list of boos I read in 2017 and not came out in 2017.
So, without further delay, here is my list of the top ten books I read in 2017.
1. Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly (updated edition) by Anthony Bourdain. Published in 2007 by Ecco/Harper Perennial (first published in 2007). Paperback.
2. A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness, Siobhan Dowd (Conception), Jim Kay (Illustrator). Published in 2013 by Candlewick Press (first published 2011). Paperback.
3. Jahangir Khan 555: The Untold Story Behind Squash’s Invincible Champion and Sport’s Greatest Unbeaten Run by Rod Gilmour and Alan Thatcher. Published in 2016 by Pitch Publishing. Kindle edition.
4. The Last Kids on Earth and The Zombie Parade (Last Kids on Earth #2) by Max Brallier, Doug Holgate (illustrator). Published in 2016 by Viking Books for Young Readers. Hardcover.
5. Nanjing: The Burning City by Ethan Young. Published in 2015 by Dark Horse Originals. Hardcover.
6. The Fortunes by Peter Ho Davies. Published in 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. Hardcover.
7. Miguel and the Grand Harmony by Matt de la Peña, Ana Ramírez (illustrator). Published in 2017 by Disney Press. Paperback.
8. The Zodiac Legacy: The Dragon’s Return (Zodiac Legacy, #2) by Stan Lee, Stuart Moore, Andie Tong (illustrator). Published in 2016 by Disney Press. Hardcover.
9. Brooklyn Antediluvian: Poems by Patrick Rosal. Published in 2016 by Persea. Paperback.
10. Dog Man and Cat Kid (Dog Man #4) by Dav Pilkey. Published in 2017 by Graphix. Hardcover.
Wonder by R. J. Palacio. Published in 2012 by Knopf. Hardcover.
If You Were a Kid at the First Thanksgiving by Melissa Sarno, Lluis Farre (illustrator). Published in 2017 by C. Press/F. Watts Trade. Paperback.
Sweating Blood: My Life in Squash by Nick Matthew, Dominic Bliss (editor). Published in 2014 by internationalSPORT group. Kindle edition.
The Wangs vs The World by Jade Chang. Published in 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. Hardcover.